Thursday, March 20, 2008

Tim Tams and other Aussie goodies

I've rediscovered my love for these childhood, chocolatey morsels of pure bliss. Just make sure you get the real stuff. As in the Original Tim Tams and not the *made in Indonesia* shite.

Herein lies the difference.

Tim Tams that you get directly from down under has that unmistakeable and supremely fragrant chocolate aroma owing to the hint of caramel in every Tim Tam slice that the fake-ass ones lack. In fact the fakes smell and taste almost rancid and just plain nasty on the first whiff and only gets worse with every bite. It also lacks the crisp crunch that accompanies every Tim Tam Originals, be it the Double Coat (my current fav), the fancy Love Potion series or the spanking new Tim Tam Crush, which has amongst them some of the most luscious chocolate-coated biscuits, studded with crushed hazelnuts and honeycomb (which I'm pretty much a slave to), and to add to all that chocolatey goodness lies that smooth layer of chocolate cream that had me at first swirl. Yes, I swirl chocolate cream in my mouth before swallowing. What? Bunch of perverts. Really.

Quite possibly the best vanilla cream/toffee biscuits I've ever tasted.

I can polish off one pack of this in one sitting.

I am consumed with lust for this but can't find it anywhere damnit.

And this. Come on, you don't expect me to be able to resist tart lemon cream sandwiched between two melt-in-your mouth slices of buttery shortbread can you?



Vegemite. Now, I can certainly understand where the haters are coming from. It looks and smells like a pile of vile dog pooh that's been left out in the sun all week and thus now posses that over-ripe reek that you can't imagine smearing on your hot toast. Right? Yea, only if you've got such unrefined olfactory senses.

I cannot even begin to articulate the sublime yumminess of Vegemite thinly and evenly spread on a slice of hot, generously buttered toast. Seriously, this might call upon that that thing, what is it now, oh yea, *acquired taste* but damn once you've aquired it, it's bloody aquired you for life. Or maybe I'm just weird like that. After all, I can't think of anyone that I personally know who likes Weetbix as much as I do.

+ + = a little taste of heaven. I jest not.

If anyone knows where I can get my lusty fingers on some Double Devon Cream butter, I think you will have my utter devotion for the rest of my life. And please, before you suggest some ulu town in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, I will send Gordon after your ignorant arse. I will traipse all over this island if I have to but to send me to England, you damn well be ready with an air ticket in hand.

I demand to know. WTF happened to the supply of Violet Crumble here?!


I literally grew up on this stuff. No, you don't understand. When I say literally, I mean this shite, fcuking aided my growth spurt and I owe at least 20lbs and 1.56cm to the countless bars of VC that I consumed daily for many, many years. How do I make you comprehend and appreciate the kind of bond that my precious and now decidedly extinct Violet Crumble and I shared? I have no choice but to show you I guess and THIS truly does epitomize the essence of the relationship that was between VC and I.

Do you know the song Through the years by Kenny Rogers? (I am not ashamed to admit that I listen to Kenny Rogers and even rather enjoy his overpriced, herb-encrusted roast chicken). This is how it goes for those of you who incredibly don't know the song. Dudes, don't you know that this song is a karaoke LEGEND? Geez.

I can't remember when you weren't there.
When I didn't care for anyone but you.
I swear we've been through everything there is.
Can't imagine anything we've missed.
Can't imagine anything the two of us can't do.

Through the years
You've never let me down
You turned my life around
The sweetest days I've found
I've found with you
Through the years I've never been afraid
I've loved the life we've made
And I'm so glad I've stayed
Right here with you
Through the years
I can't remember what I used to do
Who I trusted whom, I listened to before
I swear you've taught me everything I know
Can't imagine needing something so
But through the years it seems to me I need you more and more
Through the years
Through all the good and bad
I knew how much we had
I've always been so glad To be with you
Through the years It's better everyday
Honeycombed my tears away
As long as it's okay, I'll stay with you Through the years
Through the years...
When everything went wrong
Together we were strong
I know that I belonged Right here with you
Through the years I never had a doubt
We'd always work things out I've learned what love's about By loving you Through the years.....

And I weep.

5 comments:

StarryNite said...

Ah, Tim Tam's Butternut snaps can be found @ Candy Empire, Vivocity. Was tempted to get it but managed to resist. :) Have fun! It sounds really delish! :)

fennielyn said...

Hey thanks for the heads up. =) Candy Empire sucks ass coz all their stuff is x2 the regular price. Even normal Tim Tams cost like $4.30! :O But if all else fails I guess we're lucky to have them around. And thank YOU for dropping by.

Anonymous said...

tim tam sounds very familiar. cant remember when did i have them before! hahaha

send me a email to bradleyfk@gmail.com of your msn? easier for me to contact u for my food gathering : )

dr_clairebear said...

i love aussie biscuits and chocolates. tim tams are the best! which doesn't bode well for my already-pathetic figure when i move there in a few months...

got here through entrecard. nice, sharp, witty blog. :) I will be back!

fennielyn said...

Aww you lucky girl, do take pics of the new releases that will probably never see the light of day here and even if they do, cost like 3843x more...pfft. Gonna drop by your blog now! Happy Easter!

FOOD GOD, YOU, yes YOU, how goes the makan session planning? Remember, no bloody ulu place mind you!

I dare you to steal my stuff!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape